UK Pet Food Parrot Nutrition Symposium, 21 September 2022 – Full Programme Now Confirmed
The programme for the Parrot Nutrition Symposium at Chester Zoo on 21 September, has now been confirmed.
The event aims to deliver the latest knowledge on parrot nutrition and welfare and provide an opportunity to collaborate on education and potential next steps for research.
Keynote talks will be delivered by Lauren Samet (Animal Nutritionist) and Mark Vercoe (Deputy Curator of Birds) from Chester Zoo. The zoo was selected as the venue due to its parrot conservation breeding programme working to protect the survival of two endangered species – the Ecuador Amazon parrot and the Philippine cockatoo.
The full programme and speakers’ list include:
- Parrot Husbandry at Chester Zoo Lauren Samet (Animal Nutritionist) and Mark Vercoe (Deputy Curator of Birds), Chester Zoo
- Forty years of keeping parrots healthy - good nutrition is a major factor Alan Jones MRCVS (Chairman of The Parrot Society UK)
- Poor plumage? Too fat to fly? Clinical parrot nutrition - common problems and solutions Vicki Baldrey MRCVS (Avian Vet and lecturer at Royal Veterinary College)
- Parrot food production, from fields to feeding stations Dr Isabelle Kalmar DVM, PhD (R&D Expert, Versele-Laga Belgium and Co-chair of Fediaf Small Pets Working Group)
- Pet parrots’ feeding best practice and behavioural enrichment Tariq Abou-Zahr DipECZM(Avian) MRCVS (Exotic Animal Veterinary Surgeon)
Sarah Hormozi, Head of Science & Education at UK Pet Food advises: “We are hoping to make it a worthwhile event, where parrot experts, welfare groups and parrot food industry can share their knowledge and experience. Through discussions we will come up with collective decisions and steps forward to improve the health and welfare of parrots that are kept in captivity, especially from a diet and nutrition perspective.”
Who is the event aimed at?
Bird food manufacturers, retailers, avian vets and vet nurses, zookeepers and bird wildlife experts, academics and students, animal welfare organisations and parrot re-homing centres, parrot breeders and specialist groups, interested media, bloggers and influencers interested in pet birds.